Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Boots Randolf

Boots Randolf won't be treating us to his wonderful saxaphone sound this year at the EW concerts. He passed away this week. Some people on the EI have posted lots of pictures and a great deal of his history over there. If you're a member, you can check it out here, here,and here.

I only met him once, when we were doing interviews for various projects so I got to chat for a long time. What a warm, wonderful man he was. And that evening, after a couple of hours with him, I got to see him in Darwin Lamm's concert. What a treat and a joy that was. Boots and all the others - that whole concert.

It's surprising me how difficult a time I'm having about this passing, since I really didn't know him enough to feel a personal loss. If I put on my "self-analysis hat" I suppose I can relate it to the fact that my brother (the one who died, see first blog post). He was also a saxaphone player who often played riffs like Boots did. (You can hear him on the first Manhattan Transfer Album Tuxedo Junction (look for Mike Rod - and if you rent the movie Moscow on the Hudson, all of Robin William's mediocre sax playing (and the cool stuff on the record he listens to) is my brother.). Yeah, that's probably it.

Having said that, Boots will be missed terribly by those who enjoyed his music and I send my sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

No comments: