Wednesday, August 1, 2007

EW - What I'm most looking forward to

I've got 5 concerts scheduled (maybe 6?...) tours, the EI conference, a Tupelo tour, benefits, Flat Elvis and much more. Whatever I think I'm looking forward to most will probably NOT end up being what stands out after the fact. I think it depends on my expectations of each event.

For example, I've seen Elvis-the-Concert 5 times. So that's not at the top of my list. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE EtC. But as I said, I've already seen it 5 times. It just affects my expectations. But suppose they manage to surprise us with something spectacular - like Lisa performing. The expectation is a great concert, but the memory would be of a special event. See what I mean?

I bought a ticket for that second (midnight) concert the same night even though I still can't fathom what will be new or what they would do that wasn't done for the first concert. If it's just a repeat for those that couldn't get tickets for the first concert, I'll be really annoyed. It's gotta be a little different, though, since I know that DJ Fontana isn't doing the second concert. But there could be a nice surprise there, too. Never underestimate what Todd and co. can come up with.

The Tupelo tour - I'm taking it for the first time ever this year. I have no expectations that this will be a "special" event. And yet - people tell me it's a very moving experience. So there ya go. I'll let you know.

I'm NOT looking forward to the heat.

I AM looking forward to seeing all the folks I already know in the Elvis world and meeting lots of new folks. If you see me typing away at an event c'mon up and introduce yourself!

1 comment:

Pam Dyson, MA, LPC, RPT said...

Sometimes we set our expectations too high and at other times we don't set them high enough. I like that you're going to Elvis Week with the mindset that regardless of your expectations, special memories will be made. You and I will be attending many of the same events. It will be interesting to compare notes about what was special for each of us.